Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Day of the big setback

Day of the big setback


Installing drivers it was annoys me most when dealing with Windows
bye bye Ubuntu, hello Windows drivers
When my girlfriend got her netbook last summer there was a big shock on her side when she discovered that on Windows 7 starter, which ships on many netbooks, you cant change your wallpaper. For a BA-student in arts apparently something that isnt tolerable. After discussions spanning multiple days and countless hours of debate, I got what I consider one of my greatest achivements. I persuaded her to give Ubuntu a try. I installed it, hassle free as always and it was up and running in no time.
I have been using Ubuntu (on and off) for a couple of years now, severely interrupted only for a about a year, when I got a MacBook Pro. A period which ended a couple weeks ago. Naturally I have wanted to get my girlfriend away from Windows for a long time and when I finally managed to install Ubuntu on one of her devices, I thought bright times lay ahead and I would be installing Ubuntu on her Laptop too in no time. But I was wrong. After a couple of weeks, if not days, first complaints were filed. "The office thingy is asking me things. What does it want?", was her approach to me when she wanted to save a .doc file with LibreOffice. Of course, a tick at "dont ask again" fixed this issue quite quickly, but this was only just the beginning. After a while she complained that the document formatting was off or that presentations looked strange, something that is not easily fixed when working with both Microsoft Office and LibreOffice. Complaints like that accumulated and after a while I sensed she wasnt happy anymore. Instead of taking her netbook to university she took her laptop, instead of using her netbook on the couch (a meter from where it was lying) she got up and and unplugged her laptop from her desk and carried it over to where we were sitting. Questions about her problems where put aside with statements like "I just dont like it" or "its so different, I think its very complicated". There wasnt much to do to help her. All this culminated when she couldnt open an .docx file with Microsoft Office 2003 on her laptop and after unsuccessfully trying to install the Microsoft file validation add-in (or whatever its called) I swiftly installed LibreOffice. This resulted in such protest that I just couldnt take it anymore. Shouting "Why dont you just go to Saturn (a local tech store) and buy Microsoft Office 2007 or 2010 for �300 then?" I ended the argument. Thinking back I realized that it wasnt actually her fault or unwillingness keeping her from using all those programs, she just didnt know better. She was one of the people I like dealing with the least at work. No idea what she is doing even when using programs day in day out and always blaming the software or hardware or the universe. What to me came natural was incredibly hard for her. So today I did what I think she was begging me for for months. I installed Windows 7 on her netbook.
It wasnt the easiest thing to do since I only had a license and a disk image available, no actual disk and furthermore I needed to install from USB drive due to the absence of a CD drive. Microsoft offers a tool called something like "USB DVD tool" which didnt work in my case, telling me either the disk image or the media was damaged. A fact I highly doubt since I used the disk image to set up a virtual machine yesterday and I tried multiple disks and USB drives. Using Unetbootin and a nice tutorial I found on youtube I was able to create a bootable Wndows 7 stick I will probably never erase. Now, after the driver installation problems are mainly overcome I am sad to say that I succeeded in making my girlfriends PC wishes come true.

download more info

No comments:

Post a Comment